Sunday, December 4, 2011

Rumiko Takahashi's Mermaid Forest

I feel that there is a big controversy when it comes to reading Manga. Like either, you are one of those people who love it and always read it or you are one of those who are insulted by the idea of having to look at it. I would say I fell into the category that would probably... never read a Manga. Maybe it is because since I have learned of it, I have been taught that that's not the art we should be making. However, since we had to read one for this class, I chose Mermaid Forest by Rumiko Takahashi... and I really, really liked it. I literally could not put it down until I finished it. It took me a little under an hour to read the whole book. It wasn't so much the drawings that did it for me, but the story. At the moment I am in a very... let's call it a Twilight haze. So any book that I find with a romantic kind of supernatural theme, I'll read it. This one happened to be mermaids (another favorite!).
It was a little frustrating when it changed stories right in the middle of the book... but I found myself loving that second story just as much as the first one. It was a confusing reading both stories and trying to understand which Yuta came first... but by the end of the book, I figured out why that middle story couldn't have the happily ever after. If it did, Mana wouldn't be with Yuta! Apart from the romantic aspects, it had a lot of action and twists that kept me tense at the edge of my seat. Some of the pictures were even a little scary, with those creepy old women wanting to eat Mana's flesh.
This week I was prepared to blog about my distaste for Manga and the fact that I was being forced to read one. But, as you can see, I picked a Manga that really captivated me and totally changed my views of what Manga is. I also learned not to judge a book by it's cover... or my ignorance. Or to judge a genre by other people's stereotypes.

No comments:

Post a Comment