Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Donna Barr's Stinz Charger

Unfortunately, this week, I waited until the last moment to choose a book, so I picked up Stinz Charger: The War Stories by Donna Barr. I did not like it at all. The writing frustrated me... switching from english to a few german words. Other people talked in old english, and it was difficult for me to understand what was being said.
The images themselves didn't encourage me to keep reading. Some characterizations worked very well, but many of them were very general or, for example, the women had many manly characteristics. It also seems that in order to fit the drawings into the comic boxes, the anatomy of the horse part of the centaurs were changed. If it looked crammed, then they were smaller and it looked awkward compared to the regular sized other half of the body.
I like the concept of the story though. My interpretation was that the centaurs represented a certain minority in a nation. I connected it with America's history and how African Americans were not allowed certain rights even if they were allowed to fight in a war for their country. However, the clever concept, was not enough to keep me entertained while reading this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment